I've written more than a dozen nonfiction books. Some for kids, some for teens, some for adults. Almost of all them were commissioned by publishers, cultural organizations or foundations. That means I was paid to write the books I wrote. Not a lot in most cases, but I was paid nonetheless. When writing is your livelihood that's as important as the quality of the work itself -- and quality is paramount.
A complete book list:
- Legends: The Sports Figures on the National Bank Sports Legends Avenue of Champions; The Children's Museum of Indianapolis; 2018.
- Sport Through the Artist's Eye: Selections from the National Art Museum of Sport; The Children's Museum of Indianapolis; 2018.
- Stacks: A History of the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library; Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library Foundation; 2011.
- Fanning the Flame: The Indianapolis Art Center Turns 75; Indianapolis Art Center; 2009.
- Every Way Possible: 125 Years of the Indianapolis Museum of Art; Indianapolis Museum of Art; Indianapolis; 2008 one of two co-authors.
- The Kids’ Books of Basketball, Citadel Press; New York; 2002.
- The Herron Chronicle; Indiana University Press, Bloomington, IN; 2002; one of the three co-authors.
- For the Sake of Art: A History of the Indianapolis Art Center; Indianapolis Art Center; 1999.
- The Insiders’ Guide to Indianapolis (wrote 15 of 28 chapters), published jointly by Central Newspapers, Inc., Indianapolis, and The Insiders Guides, Manteo, North Carolina; first edition, September 1995; second edition May 1997; one of two co-authors.
- Author and co-editor of a series of biographies on American poets for young adults: published were volumes on Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes, E.E. Cummings, Anne Sexton, and Williams Carlos Williams (all of which I wrote), and Marianne Moore, Sylvia Plath, Edwin Arlington Robinson, and Walt Whitman (all of which I co-edited); 1994-96; Creative Education, Inc.; Mankato, MN.
- Gordon Parks; Chelsea House; New York, 1992. Selected as one of the year's outstanding books for teens by the New York Public Library.
- Making the Connections on Behalf of Youth; The Lilly Endowment; 1988.